Sunday, March 9, 2008

CH 10 Make Assessment Count

Helping students become test wise is always something students need to feel comfortable with and to help them reduce their anxiety. I always remember this for the other state tests and need to do this as well when it comes to writing. Creating a specific audience with the positive spin on p. 247 is something I need to invent. As always, what am I teaching and what do I expect to be valid. Staff always needs reliable and valid data to improve what we are doing, p. 250. With my class, we are always trying to reach their personal goals. Page 252, "Eighty percent of students' writing needn't be graded," is a balance I need to reach, and instead help them learn to become better writers.

3 comments:

K Styes said...

Routman's comment about not grading 80% of what our students write is interesting. I know students need to "write for the sake of writing" (build writing fluency), but still I fight my strong inclination to grade everything turned in/written by my students.

PHuston said...

Routman's comment about not grading 80% of students' work struck a chord with me also. The need for grades makes this hard, but maybe we don't grade as much as we think. I give points for journaling, but I don't grade it.

Mrs. Babcock said...

Teaching how to be a great writer will ultimately improve our students' writing on assessments. I liked the idea of only teaching the format of the test for a couple weeks prior to the test. That way our students aren't bogged down all year with the format of the test, but rather, write for authentic audiences and purposes.