Saturday, March 8, 2008

Ch 9 Conference with Students

I liked how her whole class share is a conference. I think I was always feeling conferencing had to be individual to attain good results. I also agreed with her purposes which was 1st to celebrate and 2nd to move the writer forward. Teaching my students to peer conference is something I want to try more, believing it will help them improve their own writing. The authors reminds us that the conference should be an "easy, confidence-building process."

4 comments:

K Styes said...

I jumped for joy when I saw that Routman considers whole class share legitimate. It reaffirmed what I have been doing for a long time. I was glad to learn that Routman would approve!

Tammy Gilley said...

Whole class sharing was an awesome thought for me too. I was surprised it was considered conferencing, and very grateful.

Mrs. Gary said...

Janice,

I can't wait to read this chapter. Conferencing with students is one of my most favorite things to do. I love hearing them read their pieces to me, and I am hoping to get some good insight to conferencing after I read this chapter. I look forward to reading it.

Mindy Wills said...

I was thrilled too when Regie stressed flexibility in conferencing. It is so easy, for me anyway, to get caught up in "fixing" everything in a student's writing during a conference. It was good to be reminded that the goal of a conference is to keep your students writing, writing, writing.