Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ch.11 Build on Best Practice and Research

Make sure your instruction is meaningful, relevant, and explicit and explain why, p. 276 and 277. I have a new 1st grade student and I've been explaining sometimes daily why she is in my room. How I am going to turn her into a wonderful reader and writer. She has a strong desire to learn, she just looks at me like she is startled by this information, but gets started with the program. Page 277 spoke to me because for years I have tried with more success lately in getting my low students in the regular room for writing. They think that they are so lucky they get to write in two places, not. I have seen the excitement and ownership when they share in these language activities in the regular room. Page 268, "the more peer interaction was spontaneous and less teacher directed, the better the outcomes in the writing progress." This is a reminder to me to let them talk to develop their writing.

5 comments:

Tammy Gilley said...

Janice, there are many, many individuals with writing disabilities. I agree that this type of disability should be an inclusion type situation. With the support of both regular and special ed instruction these students can grow and shine to their full potential.

K Styes said...

I, too, liked her statement on pp. 268 about peer interaction. It seems so logical and obvious. How have I missed it all these years?

Since reading that chapter, I've had my students engage in talking before writing. I've seen HUGE improvement in their fluency and attitude toward writing. It seems to be working very well in our classroom.

Mindy Wills said...

Letting students talk is such an easy thing to do, but I was not very good at allowing it to happen during time. Writing is a time to be quiet and thoughtful. I have been talking more about writing and my students are talking more about writing. It is amazing how much more excitement there is during writing and the quality of their work is better too.
So much to learn from this book. I will be going back to it over and over again!

Vicky Richardson said...

I liked the idea of talking about writing too. I tried it with my DARE essay's and it did seem to help some of my reluctant writers get started. I need to try this more often.

PHuston said...

I also like the idea of sharing before writing. As I've used it in the classroom, it has been rewarding to see the excitement it generates. So fewer students with nothing to write about.