Saturday, March 1, 2008

Ch. 8 Organize for Daily Writing

As I have read these chapters, I underlined and marked those ideas that really spoke to me. I found I put three stars on p. 176 where it states, I find the time to do what is really important and that, "We make time for what we value. " That speaks volumes for my personal life and I want to portrait it in my teaching. I also need to build in more free writing to build confidence and fluency. I am also going to start limiting my graphic organizers. I have used them to the extreme at times, but with the goal of really trying to improve their writing. With my class, I do have the advantage of finding the time to have in depth conversations about their writing. I have used one of her short writing projects on page 198 and found it valuable to my students. They found real purpose in writing to someone they admired.

5 comments:

K Styes said...

I, too, highlighted her comment about making time for what we value. That comment jumped off the page for me. Since I read it, I've been thinking about what I make time for . . . is it really what I value? For the most part I do make time for what I value, but I also found several activities that I need to throw out.

Jera French said...

I, three, highlighted her comment about making time for what we value. That was a comment that made me stop and think.

If something has to give it's not reading or math because the weight of state assessments and my science and social studies time is locked in with another teacher. So, sometimes writing every day, gets bumped if there's a change in the schedule. I need to value my writing more and bump something else. Recess? Nope, kids value that!!! : ) Honestly, I just need to write in another area that day.

PHuston said...

Isn't it amazing how much highlighting we do in this book? So many great ideas to use and try. I agree with what we value is what we spend time teaching, and in our personal life, doing.

Carol Richerson said...

I think all of us will find more time for writing across the curriculum. As I read the chapters in the book, I realize that we really do write more than I thought.

vicki'svoice said...

I loved that statement that we make time for what we value. It is so true at school and at home.